This week the Llama Nails Technique Challenge prompted me to try a new technique of which I was very, very frightened. After having pulled out so many hairs over trying to water marble, I figured that water spotting would yield much the same result. I am happy to report that it was much easier, although arguably my results aren't as nice as they could have been.
I almost had another "all one brand" look today, if I hadn't needed a little help from China Glaze at the end. Still, points for trying.
|L-R: China Glaze Liquid Leather, Models Own Purple Haze, Bubblegum, Pink Punch, Luis Lemon, White Light|
Once dry, I filled a small empty cottage cheese container with room-temperature de-ionized (distilled) water, and placed a drop of Purple Haze on the surface of the water, as though I was going to start making a bullseye for water marbling. To my surprise, the polish spread and I was able to create the spots using a small spray bottle filled with isopropyl alcohol. Once I had a few squirts in and the polish was spotting nicely, I was able to dunk in.
You can definitely tell that I dipped two fingers at a time, because the purple on my index and middle fingers is far less opaque than it is on my thumb and pinky. I chalk that up to the polish always spreading better on the first attempt because there's nothing else in the water to gum it up.
On my ring finger, I tried to do a layered water spotting technique where I did a layer of each color, hoping the spots would allow all the colors to be seen in little places, but that didn't work, so I started over again and only ended up layering two colors - there's a spotted Bubblegum and then I spotted the Liquid Leather. You can kind of see the purple and the pink underneath, but the effect was mottled, so I opted to use this adorable dragon fly charm that I've been sitting on for a few months.
All said and done, it's a neat effect. I would like to try it with a different spray pump because I think mine makes a fine mist which makes the spots smaller on the surface of the water, so it took 3-4 pumps each time to get some larger bubbles. However, I quite like this look and it definitely screams summertime!
If you'd like to see what my cohorts have come up with for this challenge, be sure to check out the links below. Otherwise, I hope you're all having a great week, and I'll see ya soon!