Tuesday 1 April 2014

Cadbury's Mini Egg Nail Art - TPTC

Hey y'all!

I thought really long and hard about doing an April Fool's joke here... but decided not to because I couldn't think of anything clever am a nice person.  The first of April heralds the beginning of a new set of colors for the Tri-Polish challenge, and with Easter being so late in the month, I imagine we're going to be seeing a lot of soft pastel blue, pink, and yellow looks before it's all over.  I have had this idea kicking around in my head for a couple of months, but when I had to reshape my nails last week after that bad corner break, it immediately went to the head of the class because I couldn't think of anything more clever like to make the best of bad situations.  Today I have a super simple but almost instantly recognizable nail art look for you - Cadbury's Mini Eggs!


As I mentioned, this is a super easy and fast look that only requires a few polishes.  I've opted for a skittlette combo but you could easily drop this down to only one or two colors for an even softer look.

L-R: China Glaze White on White, Barry M Mushroom, elf Yellow, Rimmel Too Cool to Tango, OPI Pinking of You
I started by applying a coat of White on White to all of my nails to help the soft pastel colors easier to see.  I then applied the pastel yellow, blue, and pink on random nails.


I experimented with a couple of different ways to make the speckled chocolate spots on my eggs, first trying to splatter them from different sizes of nail art brushes with no luck and a heckuva mess underneath the index finger of my right hand.  Ultimately I tore (not cut) a makeup sponge so it would have an irregular bumpy surface and dabbed it with Mushroom, patting the excess off before dabbing it onto my nails.  You can see where I got a bit heavy handed in a couple of places, but I forgive myself because sometimes Cadbury mini eggs have heavyhanded speckles, too!  The larger spots were applied with a small dotting tool.


To finish off, I applied two coats of NYC Matte Me Crazy to soften the look and make it look a lot more like the candy coated shells of the mini eggs.


Because this look was SO SUPER SIMPLE, I don't even have enough description to fill in between my gratuitous number of photos, so I'm just going to throw them all at you without commentary.  Also, I'm still feeling a bit under the weather, so word thinking swamp bad.





Hope you all like this sweet look!  As always be sure to check out the other TPTC looks in the linkup, and I'll see ya soon!
 



19 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love mini eggs as well lol

    nailartiste.blogspot.co.uk

    x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knew I should have read this after I ate I'm craving mini eggs now your fingers look yummy haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thanks! That seems to be the biggest problem with those of us who recreate food on our nails - the overwhelming desire to then nom the digits!

      Delete
  3. I love those eggs! Your nails look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know how the M&Ms feel now... *backs away slowly from the computer and turns out the lights, closing all the window shades*

      Delete
  4. Wow this is so cool! They look exactly like the mini eggs!!! Yum :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The matte topcoat is what really brings it home.

      Delete
  5. These are perfect! It's crazy how your nails turned out to look EXACTLY like the candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little amazed, myself! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. This is so clever! I love how they turned out, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! Love your honesty Ali! ;) Love the nails too :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like you read my mind. I was planning on searching for tutorials to get this same effect without buying the polish that comes speckled. You are awesome :) And I love the skittle of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable & look exactly like the candy, wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and reply whenever I have time. Thanks for reading and interacting with me!