Wednesday 2 April 2014

Purple Roses? Ombre, claro! LNTC

Hey y'all!

Today's prompt in the Llama Nails Technique Challenge is Ombre, which is a look I hadn't yet really done but just couldn't leave it plain, so I spruced it up with some stamping using the same colors on staggered nails.


Traditionally I think most people create ombre looks by adding drops of white to a dark color, or black to a light color, in order to keep it truly monochromatic.  However, when I saw these three Sinful Colors together in the store display, I knew they'd work really well for ombre and gradient looks.

L-R: Sinful Colors Whipped, Enchanted, Amethyst, and Tempest, China Glaze White on White, Finger Paints Vivid Reflection
Since I only had the three shades, I opted to go full black and white on either end to complete the tonal spectrum.  I applied Whipped to my thumb, Enchanted to my index, Amethyst to my middle, Tempest to my ring, and White on White to my pinky, and then topped them all with SV in preparation for stamping.


I picked this beautiful rose pattern from the Cici & Sisi plate 07, and basically staggered the polish colors up two nails each, so I stamped my middle finger with White on White, my index finger with Tempest, my thumb with Amethyst, my pinky with Enchanted, and my ring finger with Whipped.  Hopefully that makes sense. 


To finish, I added some iridescent sparkle to my thumb and ring finger with Vivid Reflection.  I love how the glass flecks almost make my thumb look like the roses were stamped black over purple glitter.  It's a shame they don't show up more readily on my ring finger.  To preserve the stamping, I used HK Girl to seal everything in. 


I am pleasantly surprised at how well HKG holds up compared to SV.  I think as far as looks, they're really similar, but HKG takes a little bit longer to dry. 




And of course, here comes the macro parade.  I used a slightly different lighting on the thumb macro in order to help everything actually show up better. 



Hope you like this look!  As always, check out the other Ombre looks from the Llama ladies below.  Hope you're all having a fantastic week and I'll see ya soon!



7 comments:

  1. Wow! This is gorgeous! I can't imagine all the work that went into planning this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oddly, it wasn't that much planning - the hardest part was figuring out how to stagger the stamping colors, but ultimately I just kind of took a stab and went for it, and it paid off!

      Delete
  2. I love the purples you chose & the fact that you reverse ombre'd the stamping is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous roses - they look brilliant! I also love how you chose the purple colour... I really need to try out stamping because it looks like it really opens doors in nail art :)

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/04/spring-bucket-list-bloggers-do-it.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It definitely makes things a lot simpler and faster, for sure. The biggest problem is then get you stacked up on which plates to buy!

      Delete
  4. Darn you. You've just added more polish to my wishlist lol. I really like this look, I can never really work out exactly what Ombre is supposed to be so I sadly missed this prompt.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and reply whenever I have time. Thanks for reading and interacting with me!