Wednesday 4 June 2014

Watercolor Skittlette Nails - LNTC

Hey y'all!

Yesterday I took a day off - didn't turn on the computer all day long. Didn't mess with my nails, didn't even enter the "office" except to pull a cardigan out of my wardrobe before I went into town.  I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I'd had a minor disaster while coloring my hair; my glove busted and I got a really bad stain on my index fingernail.  The backside of that is because I was so fussed with the staining on my nail that I was totally distracted and ended up kind of botching the rest of my hair coloring, so I decided that rather than mess with it, I would let a pro handle it, so that's where I was for a good 2.5 hours yesterday afternoon.  When I got home I just couldn't be bothered to edit pics and write today's post in advance so I did it this morning.  I've told you this long story just to get to the point of why my post is a couple hours later than normal.  And also to prepare you for the copper penny hair that will be appearing in a video soon, because I feel it's important to be prepared for such things.  Also, today I have watercolor nail art.

Watercolor Skittlette nail art

Once again I've put together a look using colors from a single brand, which chuffs me greatly.  I truly am in love with the Barry M Gelly range - they're just so good for so many different kinds of nail art!

L-R: Barry M Coconut, Papaya, Damson, Key Lime
I started with two coats of Papaya on my thumb and ring finger, and 2 coats of Coconut on the other three nails, and applied a thick coat of SV on top to protect my base from the acetone I'd be using with the painting technique.

Watercolor Skittlette nail art

Although I've done a few variations of the watercolor effect in other nail art looks in the past, I thought I would remain true to the theme of the challenge and use the "original" technique, which basically involves putting small dots of color on top of the nail and then smudging them with an acetone-dipped brush to cover the nail.  

Watercolor Skittlette nail art

On my thumb and ring finger, I used dots of Coconut and smudged them lightly because I didn't want to cover over the gorgeous coral color underneath.  I think it looks like smoke rings, and I'll keep that in mind for future looks.  The other nails were done with dots of Papaya, Damson, and Key Lime, and I tried to cover the nail as much as possible while still letting some of the pale base show through.  Also I used more of the Papaya so they would be more similar to the accent nails.

Watercolor Skittlette nail art

I think overall this did come out looking quite a bit like a watercolor painting.  The technique was really easy to do and I'm happy that it gave me some experience in my cap for future looks.

Hope you like it, and as always be sure to check out the other Watercolor looks today in the inlinkz below.  We're soon coming to the end of the Techniques Challenge - have you learned anything new from it?




6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I am loving the new BarryM colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really loving Coconut (it's damn-near the exact same shade as My Vampire is Buff, but with that Gelly formula). The only problem I found with Damson is that it smells kind of... skunky. I had never experienced the "blue polish smell" until I opened that bottle!

      Delete
  2. I agree, Barry M is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... what you are saying is, that I need Coconut.
    Okay. I can do that. :)

    I am totally in love with the Barry M Gelly range as well. They are truly epic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I'm not saying you NEED it... but I'm probably saying that you might really WANT it. Also that it's worth having. Also that I'm a notorious enabler of polish addicts.

      Delete
    2. Which is why I love you so.

      Delete

I love reading your comments and reply whenever I have time. Thanks for reading and interacting with me!